Grievances and Sanctions

From SCA Lochac
Revision as of 11:29, 30 June 2021 by Angele (talk | contribs) (Version published to live)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Grievance procedures

This procedure is included from section X.4 of Lochac Kingdom Law (March 2021). It is included here for convenience. In the event of differences between current Lochac Kingdom Law and this text, Lochac Kingdom Law has precedence.

  1. Anyone having a dispute with, or grievance against, another in Lochac, that is not a mundane legal matter or dealt with in SCA policy, shall first attempt to settle the matter as follows:
    1. First Stage - The person shall attempt to hold a private discussion with the other to come to a resolution. If either party wishes, they may designate another person they trust who is willing to conduct or participate in the discussion on their behalf. If desired by either party and subsequently accepted by both parties, an impartial mediator may be present. The time, communication method and location of any discussion should be mutually agreed on.
    2. Second Stage - If the issue cannot be resolved and involves only local parties, the person shall bring the matter, preferably in writing, to the attention of the most relevant officer, or to the local Seneschal if there is no appropriate local officer. If the issue is with someone outside the local area, it shall be brought to the relevant Kingdom Officer. If the issue involves a landed Baronage, it shall be brought directly to the Crown. If the issue involves the Kingdom Seneschal, it shall be brought directly to the SCA NZ Inc Committee if the person is resident in New Zealand, otherwise to the SCA Ltd Board, in each case with a copy to the Society Seneschal. The relevant officer must then attempt to arbitrate a resolution. If the relevant officer or a close associate (e.g. their life partner or SCA student) is involved in the issue, this stage step may be omitted.
    3. Third Stage - If the issue cannot be resolved at a local level, it shall be brought in writing to the attention of the relevant Kingdom Officer. The relevant officer or their nominated representative must then attempt to arbitrate a resolution.
    4. Serious Disputes - If all steps above have been tried and have failed, a formal written complaint may be made to the Kingdom Seneschal. This will be investigated and handled by the Kingdom Seneschal in accordance with relevant SCA policies.

Suspension of authorisations

  1. Authorisations may be suspended by a marshal for just and stated cause. People subject to suspension of their authorisation are required to immediately surrender all of their authorisation cards. Refusal or delay in surrendering authorisation cards is a serious infraction of these rules and may result in severe sanctions.
  2. People subject to suspension of authorisations may appeal the sanction, but must surrender their card and abide by the sanction until the appeals process is complete.
  3. The chain of appeals is as follows:
    1. the Kingdom Armoured Combat Marshal; then
    2. the Earl Marshal; then
    3. the Crown; then
    4. the Board or Committee of the participant's relevant SCA organisation.
  4. Any marshal who suspends an authorisation must report this action, in writing, to their superior officer and the Kingdom Armoured Combat Marshal as soon as possible.
  5. Any marshal suspending an authorisation without due cause may themselves be subject to sanctions including, but not limited to, loss of authorisations.
  6. The Kingdom Armoured Combat Marshal should notify the Earl Marshal, who will notify the Society Marshal of any suspension of authorisations in their reports.
  7. In addition to any steps taken by the marshallate, infractions involving breaches of mundane law should be referred immediately to the appropriate authorities.