Suggested range dimensions
These are suggested dimensions for the range and safety zones for target and specialty competitions. They are general guidelines. The actual sizes can vary, depending on terrain, the archers, and other conditions. It is better to err on the side of safety with too much space than not enough.
- We recommend that the safety zone behind the farthest target extends at least 40 yards (36.5m) back, or for half the distance from the line to the farthest target, whichever is greater.
- For shoots of 50 yards (45.7m) or less, the safety zone to the sides of the shooting line and targets should extend outward at a 30- to 45-degree angle from both ends of the shooting line to a line even with the furthest target, and continue straight back from there.
- For shoots of over 50 yards (45.7m), the safety zone to the sides of the shooting line and targets should extend outward at a 30- to 45-degree angle from both ends of the shooting line to a line 50 yards (45.7m) away or one-quarter the distance to the far end of the safety zone, whichever is greater, and continue straight back from there.
- For clout shoots, we recommend that the safety zone extends beyond the target for at least half the target distance, and to each side for at least one-fifth the target distance. We recommend that the Target Archery Marshal arrange for any archers who are not familiar with clout shooting to practice in advance. They should start with their bows aimed at a low angle and work their way up to help prevent overshooting the safety zone.
- For flight shoots, we recommend that the safety zone distance be at least 300 yards (274.3m), or the maximum range of the heaviest bow allowed. We don't recommend holding a flight shoot if space is limited.
- For roving courses, we recommend that the safety zone distance be at least one and one-half times the distance to the target. Include special consideration for the angles and distances required for the other targets in the course. Don't place targets within line of sight with another target.